Updating the CrowPi2 OS image

I am new to the Raspberry Pi. I see a link to the latest OS image:

https://github.com/Elecrow-RD/CrowPi2#official-crowpi2-system-image

but I don't know what the actual installation process is.

Do I update it somehow from the CrowPi2 itself? Or do I remove the memory card and do something with it from another computer?

Is there a link to step-by-step instructions?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited October 2021

Thank you for your suggestion.

You need to take out the SD card and use a computer for image burning. But, don’t worry, it can be roughly divided into 3 steps:

1. Download the mirror

2. Format the memory card

I usually use SDFormatter software to format the SD card. This is easy and you can find it by searching on the Internet.

3. Install the image

For image installing, I personally recommend Win32DiskImager, which is very easy to operate.

After you have burned the image, insert the memory card into the Raspberry Pi of CrowPi2, and then turn it on.

• edited July 2021

@chrispitude

Currently, there is no method to upgrade the Crowpi2 software alone. The only way to get the latest Crowpi2 software is to flash a new system microSD card with the latest Crowpi2 system image.

I would suggest you flash the new system image using a new microSD card, rather than write over your existing one. Because, every system customization you have done and all your user files/documents will be lost, if you write over your original microSD card. Afterward, you can copy your user files/documents back over from your original microSD card.

To flash the latest version of Crowpi2 system image, please follow the step-by-step instructions at this link.

• edited May 2021

@tony

Trying to edit my previous comment, but it wouldn't allow with the following edit permission error

@chrispitude

Currently, there is no method to upgrade the Crowpi2 software alone. The only way to get the latest Crowpi2 software is to flash a new system microSD card with the latest Crowpi2 system image.

I would suggest you flash the new system image using a new microSD card, rather than write over your existing one. Because, every system customization you have done and all your user files/documents will be lost, if you write over your original microSD card. Afterward, you can copy your user files/documents back over from your original microSD card.

To flash the latest version of Crowpi2 system image, I use the built-in Raspberry Pi Imager app, please follow the step-by-step instructions at this link.

Note: If the Raspberry Pi Imager app is not installed in your CrowPi2, just install it as follow

1. Press Ctrl+T to open a Terminal window.
    2. Type the following command and press Enter.

sudo apt update && sudo apt install rpi-imager

• @Pearl

Thank you for your attention. This is because the comment of a normal account can only be modified within one hour, and it cannot be modified after more than one hour.

However, for your activeness and kindness, I would like to invite you to join our forum management group, so that you will have higher authority, and help some CrowPi users and share some interesting projects in the forum! Looking forward to your reply!

• @tony

Thanks for your invitation. It would be my pleasure being able to offer my help.

• I just updated the image to:

crowpi2_release_v1.2.0_en_20210305.zip

with the Raspberry Pi imager.

After the first boot and GUI user creation, I switched off and replaced the /home/pi with a backup I made previously.

$ sudo cp -a * .* backup/pi /media/user/rootfs/home/pi

On next boot I can find all my files and Minecraft worlds, but Python lessons seems say I had to restart from beginning (are all 0/N)

Where is saved the last lesson performed?

• Try look in the following directory of your previous version SD card

/usr/share/.user/account/(CrowPi2_User_Name)/python/

and copy all the files back over to your new version SD card.

• edited July 2021

@efa Also, copy the database file

/usr/share/.user/sqlite/info.db

Perhaps @tony could elaborate more details on this issue.

• efaefa
    edited July 2021

It is non standard to have something related to the users out of /home path, and wouldn't have been able to find them.

is there anything else I should save from the root fs (before deleting the old 16 GB uSD) that is related to users settings or data?

• Based on my own experience, and a quick check on my CrowPi2. 

The following files get updated when login to the Crowpi2 application

• /usr/share/.user/account.txt ← New finding from my previous posts.
    • /usr/share/.user/sqlite/info.db

The following directories may be just a backup, with contents identical to your /home/(user)/user/(CrowPi2_user)/

• /usr/share/.user/account/(CrowPi2_User)/python/
    • /usr/share/.user/account/(CrowPi2_User)/scratch/ ← It is empty on mine.

My suggestion is to safe keeping your old 16 GB uSD for a while before deleting, until you're comfortable that your system with the new image works correctly as you expected.