What to do if the fan makes noise?

Issues with the fan being noisy or not working are caused by loose mounting of the fan to the fan port.

Firmly pressing down on the fan at all 4 corners should see the issue improve. Also, there is double-sided tape on the back of the fan. If you tear off its protective backing, and stick the fan back into the fan port, that should provide a more permanent fix for the vibration noise caused by the loose mounted fan.

Tagged:

Comments

• There is a far better method that works even better.

My fan was stuck to the PCB with the double sided tape, so this first option wasn't open to me. I worked out that the excessive fan noise wasn't due to a loose mounting but rather a solid mounting that allowed fan vibrations to transfer to the PCB. I removed the screws holding the fan to the PCB and discarded them. I then used a good quality double sided tape that was approximately 1mm thick and soft, the brand I used was Gorilla Tape. This was attached to the fan and the excess trimmed away making sure none of the tape touched the fan. The fan was then re-attached to the PCB. The difference was dramatic, the noise changed from being annoying right down to the level where you could barely hear just the fan blade noise in the airstream.