Adding power switch without removing GPIO ribbon

Comments

• You should use pin 26 and GND to connect your power switch.

You sure can use the button matrix or 4 individual buttons to act as a power button and what you need is to program to achieve it.

• Daaaaang, thank you Tony!

I'll be working on that then as my project!

Thank you again you've been a massive help

• After trying a few scripts and them not working I've now got a script that works and I can now safely shutdown my raspberry pi with the push of a button. It uses pin 26 which controls the servo and the independent up button so I can clear the use of an external switch

Thank you

• I have been trying to get this power switch to function properly, but regardless of if I use the boot folder or the rc.local for the power button start up, my I2c devices (lcd, matrix and light sensor) all end up with a timeout error.

Is there a way where I can use both a power switch and the I2c?

I'm aware the run global gnd is possibly used for a power button but I'm not sure it'd work and don't want to ruin my rpi4b what else can I possibly do without errors like that coming up?

• Also can I get an explination on why the I2C and power switch are clashing

• Power switch and I2C should not clash, there might be some error in your script or operation.

• Is there a script you could recommend?

• edited June 2021

@nicholasperratt

Please read this post that I wrote. It looks like what you are trying to accomplish.

• @Pearl

That post is extremely helpful. It's very clear and informative.

For example I kind of understand why the I2C was clashing as I basically didn't have the dtoverlay which I assume reserves that pin for a default function (a power button for example).

So if I use a power button script and include the dtoverlay in the boot config then it'll make the button a default reserved function that would be separate from all other connections

• edited June 2021

I have the dtoverlay and connected to the pins 5 and 6(gpio3 and gnd) and all that happens is the momentary switch stops the I2C momentarily.

I have also tried dtoverlay=gpio-shutdown, gpio_pin=33 and still not shutting down